Subscribe to RSS

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Search Blog:
Loading

Monday, November 19, 2007

PERSPECTIVE

I have talked with many colleagues about the youth today and how one feels they have to watch their backs in business and in life if they are to survive. One of the reasons why my uncle got tired of making Hollywood films was because he would constantly have to deal with and outsmart the so called 25-30 year old business school producers, so he made a fortune in entirely different businesses and now makes the personal films he wants. The 2007 Dodgers baseball team fell apart because of talented kids fighting with proven veterans which really bummed me and my son out. Other parents ask me if I recognize the kids today, even my own kid. This saddens me. I do feel there is a disconnect between generations, but I believe that happens when great civilizations start to decay. Greed takes over, us against them logic rules and simple acts of kindness tend to be few and far between. It's as if our youth has a sense of entitlement because they have a sense that there is very little time left. I don't believe this is our kids' fault...they are a product of us and older generations and it is very important that we let them find themselves in these complex times and to do our best to guide them back to our collective humanity...and, most of all, to love them regardless. Besides, everything moves in circles.

Does the below sound familiar?

The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers.

-- Socrates

 
© Copyright Ears XXI Inc. All Rights Reserved